Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
More from Paul Gayler's Flavours of the world, havenot made this yet but sounds straight from heaven. Would welcome any comments if you make this first. His recipes look complex but are easy to follow and come out really well every time.
- 6 egg whites
- 7 ounces caster sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
for the lime curd
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 ounces caster sugar
- 175 ml fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 1⁄2 ounces unsalted butter, diced
- preheat oven to 250°F.
- put egg whites and sugar into clean, dry bowl and whisk until they form stiff peaks.
- mix the saffron with the vinegar and boiling water then whisk it into the beaten whites with the vanilla extract,
- Finally fold in the cornflour.
- Line 2 baking sheets with baking parchment and spread the meringue mix on it in 6 mounded circles.
- Bake for 50-6- mins until crisp but still pale with a soft marshmallow centre.
- store in an airtight container till needed.
- for the lime curd beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
- add lime juice and zest.
- place in heavy based pan and cook, stirring over a low heat until the mix thickens.
- add the salt and immediately remove from heat.
- whisk in the chilled diced butter and leave to cool.
- cover and keep in the fridge till required.
- to serve top each pavlova with a good dollop of lime curd and top with thick cream.
- NOTE lime curd is just wonderful on scones or hot buttered toast.