Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
From Good Food Magazine March 1988. Serve with a nice stir-fry, such as Shrimp and Vegetable Stir-Fry.
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 10 saffron threads
- 1 cup short-grain brown rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Heat the water, broth, salt, and saffron to boiling in medium saucepan. Stir in rice; reduce heat to low. Cook covered until liquid is almost completely absorbed, about 35 minutes.
- Stir in butter and cheese. Let stand covered 10 minutes before serving.
Very tasty! It reminds me of a risotto, but without all of the hassle of standing at the stove for 25 minutes. I made this in my rice cooker, adjusting the amount of liquid per the manufacturer's directions, then adding the butter and cheese after the timer went off. We really enjoyed this, and will make it again.