Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
a side dish for any occasion and any main course
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups orzo pasta
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed saffron
- 1 lb thin asparagus, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus shavings for garnish
- salt & pepper
- heat butter in skillet, add orzo and stir.
- add broth and saffron, bring to boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer, cook 8 minutes add asparagus, cover, cook 5 minutes more.
- uncover and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
- stir in parmesan cheese, salt, pepper.
- serve in a bowl garnished with shavings.
Oh my...what's not to like about this recipe?! Not a thing that I can think of. DH and I recently saw orzo in the grocery store and never having had it before, we decided to buy a package and give it a try. We both love our home raised asparagus; chia sent me some saffron to give it a try and I just had to try it out in this. I am so very glad I did! I can't wait for asparagus season to begin again and the saffron crocuses Rita sent to produce...I plan to make this often! Thank you chia!
The perfect comfort food! I also make this dish without the asparagus. I like to stir it continuously the last 5 minutes of cooking time to get a really creamy texture.
I made this for dinner last night and it was delicious. The combination of the asparagus and saffron was wonderful. Absolutely decadent. Thank you for posting.