Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A creamy and exotic ice cream that is inspired by the flavors of traditional Indian sweets.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 20 saffron strands
- 5 egg yolks
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- Bring the milk and heavy cream to a boil.
- Add the saffron, remove from heat and leave to infuse overnight in the refrigerator.
- The next morning, beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until smooth and white.
- Gradually add the saffron infusion, beating well after each addition.
- On the stove top, place mixture in a metal bowl placed over a pot of rapidly boiling water.
- Cook until the mixture coats the spoon.
- Pass the mixture through a fine sieve. Save the saffron filaments and return them to the mixture.
- Allow to cool. Once cold, chill in a metal bowl in the freezer and remove at 1 hour intervals and beat until set. You can also use an ice cream freezer.
- To make syrup:.
- Stir 1 1/2 cups water and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves.
- Increase heat to medium-high.
- Add cinnamon stick and boil mixture until syrup is reduced to a scant 1 cup amount, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in rose water and cool. Serve ice cream in individual bowls and drizzle syrup on top.