Prep 2 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Prep time includes time to rise. Delicious and aromatic!
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups bread flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm water, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron, crushed
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup bread flour, all the yeast and 1 1/4 cups water. Stir well and let stand, covered, for 4 hours.
- Warm remaining 1/4 cup water and dissolve saffron in it. Add to flour mixture, along with remaining whole wheat flour, salt and honey. Gradually add the remaining bread flour, mixing until the dough comes away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn bread out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until elastic and smooth, 4-5 minutes.
- Place bread in a clean bowl to rise, covered, for an additional 30 minutes.
- Shape dough into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet.
- Dust with flour, cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425°F.
- Slash loaf with a sharp blade and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the loaf is a dark gold and the bottom sounds hollow when tapped.
- Let cool completely before slicing.