Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Earthy saffron is lifted by peppery green onions in this quick side dish. Serve with the halibut to soak up the tasty juices. Halibut recipe is posted also Triple-Pepper Steamed Halibut.
- 2 1⁄4 cups reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked couscous
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup chopped green onion top
- Bring broth to a simmer in a small saucepan. Add saffron, stirring to dissolve. Cover and keep warm.
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add couscous; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add broth mixture, hot sauce, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, remove from heat, and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork; stir in onions.
This was very good. I didn't add the salt. Went really well with grilled chicken. Nice simple lunch that was enjoyed by all. Next time, I might kick it up a notch and add garlic. Thanks. :)
An easy side that complimented the lentils I served it with very well. Since the chicken broth provided enough sodium, I opted to leave off the salt.
Fantastic! I love the smell saffron imparts-it fills the whole house up! Omitted the hot pepper sauce because I served this with #183742. Great yet simple recipe for a last minute meal! Thanks for sharing it! cg