Recipe by JustJanS
This yummy curry is one of my husbands specialities.
Top Review by love4culinary
THIS...IS......OUT OF THIS WORLD!!!!! Have only two people here, but I knew we'd love it so i made the whole amount so we'd have leftovers. This dish filled my apartment with heavenly scents.. we couldnt wait to dig in!!! The chicken takes on a beautiful color and magnificent flavor!! The times were very accurate... and the ingredients were just perfect. Thanks for this wonderful recipe Jan. This is a keeper!!! I will make it OVER and Over and over again! :-)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, julienned
- 2 teaspoons finely grated gingerroot
- 1 -3 fresh chili pepper, or to taste, red or green
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the saffron strands in a dry pan over a medium heat for about 1 minute taking care not to burn them.
- Cool, and then crush them with the back of a spoon.
- Dissolve them in 1 tablespoon of very hot water.
- Heat the ghee (or whatever you use), and gently fry the onion, garlic, ginger and chillis until the onion is soft and golden.
- Add garlic.
- Add the dissolved saffron to the pan with the cardomon, then add the chicken.
- Turn the chicken pieces in the mix, coating well.
- Add the salt, cover and cook for 25 minutes until the chicken is tender.
- Uncover the pan and continue cooking, turning often until the liquid is almost gone.