Prep 3 hrs
Cook 30 mins
It's getting warmer & my eye has turned to cold luscious ice creams to cue up for summer. This cooked custard ice cream came from August 1993 Gourmet Magazine. This is produced/created by the Ciao Bella Gelato Company of New York. This combines cardamom with the saffron and pistachio nuts for a cool follow-up to a fiery East Indian curry or spicy Middle Eastern cuisine. It distinctly states that the use of saffron threads (againstthe use of saffron powder) will evoke the right aromatic flavor for "this suave dessert." Mmmmm... Thank you Trader Joe's for the saffron threads! Some of the prep time is for cooling custard - though I would opt to let it chill overnight in fridge & prechill in freezer before putting in my small Cuisinart ice cream maker which can poop out before the churning is ideal.
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread
- 8 large egg yolks
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cardamom, ground
- 1⁄2 cup pistachio nut, shelled
- Combine the milk, cream, saffron and bring to a boil in a heavy saucepan .
- Remove pan from heat and let cream mixture stand, covered, for 1 hour.
- Return pan to the heat and bring mixture to just simering.
- In another bowl, whisk egg yolks, sugar and pinch of salt together.
- Add 1/2 cup of the cream mixture to the eggs & blend to temper them.
- After mixing, add the rest of the cream to the egg mix in a steady stream, whisking to blend well.
- Pour the entire mixture back into the pan.
- Cook this custard over moderate low heat, stirring until a thermometer reaches 170°F.
- Strain through a fine sieve into another bowl and stir in cardamom.
- Let custard cool completely and freeze in ice cream freezer according to manufacturer's recommendations.
- Add pistachios during last few minutes of freezing/churning time.