Recipe by Jill Patrice
Grandma Dimond's Saffron Cake recipe is a British recipe from the Wrefords in Cornwall, England. It is really more of a fruit bread traditionally served with clotted cream.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 3⁄4 cup currants
- 1⁄4 cup candied lemon peel or 1⁄4 cup citron
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cake yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 ounce saffron
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour about one cup of boiling water over the saffron and let it cool and mix with the sugar, salt, and yeast.
- When yeast has dissolved and shortening has softened, mix in flour and fruit (currants and lemon).
- Let rise 1 1/2 hour in the bowl.
- Put in greased bread pan to rise for 1/2 hour before baking.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 45 minutes.