Prep 40 mins
Cook 7 mins
Saffron Buns are an old tradition and are commonly eaten on December 13, Lucia Day and all the time up until Christmas.
- 2 packages dry yeast
- 2 cups milk
- 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup butter or 3⁄4-1 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 4 -5 cups flour
- 1 -2 g saffron
- raisins (decorations)
- The ingredients are the same as for cinnamon rolls, follow the same directions.
- Add the saffron to the liquid and mix.
- Add the egg as the dough is kneaded.
- Take a piece of dough, roll it out into a long string, thick as your finger and about 4-5 in (10-12 cm) long.
- Roll up both ends in opposite circles until they meet about midway.
- Place a raisin into the center of each circle.
- This is called a"lussekatt".
- Let the"lussekatt"'s rise about 30-40 min in a nondrafty environment.
- Baste with whipped egg and bake in 420-440 °F (200-225 °C), or until golden.
What if you are like me and do not know how to make cinnamon rolls? This recipe can be improved by being complete.