5 hrs 30 mins
adopt a greyhound's Note:
A tradition in our families from England and Sweden. Saffron is expensive to buy, so I don't make these but once or twice a year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Heat the water in a glass 2 Cup measuring cup in the microwave for 2 minutes. Put saffron into the boiling water and let steep for at least 15 minutes.
- 2Dissolve yeast, sugar and warm water in the bottom of your KA mixer bowl or large bowl. Let it activate for 10 minutes.
- 3In the mixer bowl with the yeast mixture, add the sugar, salt, lard, eggs, flour, and lemon extract. Mix slowly to incorporate.
- 4Remove your mixer bowl from the mixer. Add the steeped saffron. Put it back on the mixer and slowly incorporate the saffron mixture.
- 5Last, add the currents and citron and mix thoroughly.
- 6Let rise approximately 1-2 hours.
- 7Drop by heaping T. on Air Bake pans. Put no more than 12 on a sheet. Continue dropping buns on additional sheets. Let rise in a warm place until doubled.(1-2 hours).
- 8While buns are raising, preheat oven to 350 deg.
- 9Bake each sheet pan separately, they bake to a light golden brown. My oven seems to burn if I have more than one sheet in at a time.
- 10Bake appr. 15 minutes, remove from the oven and put next sheet into the oven. When they are cool, store in Ziploc freezer bags. What you don't eat the first few days, the rest should last through the holidays. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Buns
Serving Size: 1 (46 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 36
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 188.8
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.3 g
- Cholesterol 15.7 mg
- Sodium 70.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 12.5 g
- Protein 3.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: