4 hrs 15 mins
3 hrs 45 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
From Please to the Table. A large version of the buns commonly served in Sweden between Santa Lucia Day (Dec. 13) and Christmas, but lovely for any time for breakfast or afternoon tea.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half, scalded and cooled to warm
- 5 1/2 cups flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 large egg yolks, beaten
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 teaspoon saffron thread (crushed and diluted in 2 T warm milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup candied fruit (or mixed dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- confectioners' sugar
- 1In a large bowl, combine the yeast, the 1 t sugar and the half and half. Let stand till foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 2gradually add half the flour to the yeast mixture, beating till smooth.
- 3place this sponge in a warm draft free place and let stand till bubbly and doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- 4in a second large bowl, beat the egg and egg yolks, 1/2 cup sugar, butter, saffron mixture and the vanilla and rum extracts with an electric beater till smooth.
- 5stir in the raisins and candied fruit into the sponge and then add the egg mixture.
- 6add the remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, till you have a sticky dough.
- 7transfer the dough to a floured surface, sprinkle with additional flour and knead till you have a smooth, elastic dough, 5-8 minutes, adding more flour if necessary.
- 8place the dough in a large buttered bowl, turning it to coat with the butter.
- 9cover and set in a warm place till doubled in bulk, about 1 1/12 hours.
- 10on a large floured surface, roll the dough into a long cylinder about 3 inches thick and 36 inches long.
- 11place on a large buttered baking sheet and turn the ends in toward the center to form a large "pretzel." Cover and let stand for 40 minutes.
- 12preheat oven to 350.
- 13brush the dough with the egg wash and sprinkle with almonds, pressing them in slightly.
- 14bake in the middle of the oven till golden brown, about 45 minutes (I would start checking at about 30 minutes to be sure it doesn't over bake).
- 15remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- 16allow to stand for 4-6 hours.
- 17serve sprinkled with confectioners' sugar.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saffron Bun
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 388.6
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 5.3 g
- Cholesterol 91.5 mg
- Sodium 23.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 14.5 g
- Protein 9.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: