Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A special-occasion braided bread. "Cooking time" includes both time for bread to rise and baking time.
- 1 cup milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 2 tablespoons yeast, dissolved in
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 5 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated fresh lemon rind
- 5 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine the milk through the flour.
- Turn out on a floured board and knead until elastic and smooth.
- Let rise until doubled in size (2-2½ hrs).
- Punch down and knead briefly; divide in half.
- Shape each half into braids by rolling dough 3/4" thick, then cutting into 8" strips and shaping these into rounded strands.
- Braid strands.
- Decorate with raisins and brush with egg.
- Bake at 350° 25-30 minutes.
- Cover and cool on rack.
Sorry echo echo for not giving any rating. The reason being, I followed your instructions to the bone, but my dough was not kneadable at all. There was just too much liquid i.e. 5 eggs for 5 cups flour in addition to the milk, water and butter. I had to add in a LOT more flour to knead it into a managable soft dough. Don't get me wrong - it had risen beautifully but because of all the extra flour added in, I am not sure if the bread was sweet enough at the end and neither was there any flavour of the vanilla extract. I made individual knotted buns this time since it was for a class of 20 students and I also let it rise for half an hour the 2nd time after shaping them. The buns, 24 in all, turned out very light and fluffy. I definitely will make it again but I shall reduce the amount of eggs down to 2 perhaps and then I shall post in another review. Thank you for sharing your recipe.
Truly a lovely bread! I did let the yeast proof a bit with the milk/water/sugar and salt before I added the rest of the ingredients. I used my Kitchenaid and did the kneading in the machine. The result was a very tender, soft dough which rose beautifully and baked into a gorgeous braid. Had an excellent crumb and made perfect slices. Lovely color and flavor from the saffron.