Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Pizza the African way! If you do not have berbere or harissa, there are many recipes for both here on RecipeZaar.
- 1 pre-baked pizza crust (such as Boboli)
- 9.85 ml berbere
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 1.23 ml salt
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 medium Chinese eggplant, sliced thick
- 1 small zucchini, sliced thick
- 1 small red onion, sliced thick
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 14.79 ml harissa
- 1 chorizo sausage, sliced
- 170.09 g mozzarella cheese, sliced
- Mix berbere, garlic and salt with olive oil. Coat top of pizza crust with oil mixture; set aside.
- Prepare topping:
- Place vegetables in a roasting pan; lightly toss with olive oil and harissa to coat.
- Roast vegetables for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Arrange cheese, sausage and vegetables on pizza crust.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350°F for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and serve hot.
- Sprinkle with more harissa if desired.
This was a really great pizza with so many unique flavors! Most of all, I liked the berbere-spiced oil on the crust - the cloves and cinnamon in there really take the pizza to a whole other level. I used very thin crusts, so instead of roasting big chunks of vegetables I simply pan-fried much smaller pieces. I was also out of harissa, so I tossed the vegetables in a generous amount of West Indian hot sauce. I loved how so many diverse international ingredients could come together to create such a yummy pizza!
Pizza with a difference, very good! I used red pepper instead of zucchini.
Spicy, flavorful, different! I used Gabi's Harissa (Moroccan Hot Sauce) for the harissa which was more of a wet "spread" consistency, and and Berbere (Ethiopian Hot Pepper Seasoning) for the berbere which resulted in a dry "sprinkling" spice, so I juxtaposed your uses. I spread the harissa across the crust first like pizza sauce, added the toppings, and sprinkled the berbere over the top at the end, like you'd do with red pepper flakes on an Italian pizza. The chorizo and mozzarella were not cooked after 10 minutes. I increased the temperature to 425 degrees and cooked for an additional 10 minutes and that was perfect. This could easily serve four people for a meal so the Nutrition Facts are not as bad as they look, and the veggies are good for you!