Prep 5 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Venison may be substituted. Adapted from Woman's Day Encyclopedia of Cookery. Posted for ZWT6.
- 1 venison saddle (or reindeer, 4 pounds)
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄3 cup muenster cheese, diced
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and dry meat.
- Spread 4 tablespoons of butter over meat.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place in a shallow roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Reduce heat to 350°F.
- Add water and continue to cook until meat is tender, 2 1/2 to 3 hours, basting frequently.
- Remove meat to a platter and keep warm.
- In a skillet, melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Stir in flour.
- Gradually stir in pan drippings.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and thickened.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese.
- Continue cooking until cheese melts.
- Add remaining butter and remove pan from heat, stirring until butter melts.
- Serve sauce over meat.