Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Layers of rice, hard-cooked eggs, cheese, and olives bake in a creamy sauce. Source is from Family Circle recipe card May 1966.
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2-2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 cups milk
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced pitted ripe olives
- 8 -10 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- Combine butter or margarine, flour, onion, salt, Italian seasoning, mustard, and milk in a small saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute.
- Make 2 layers each of rice, egg slices, olives, sauce, and cheese slices in a buttered 8-cup baking dish.
- Bake in a 350-degree-Fahrenheit oven for 30 minutes, or until bubbly hot. Garnish with a ring of sliced olives, if you wish.