An extremely rich Viennese classic made with layers of chocolate cake filled with apricot jam and enrobed in a creamy-rich chocolate glaze. Sachertorte is traditionally served with whipped cream. It was created in 1832 by Franz Sacher, of the famous family of Viennese hoteliers and restaurateurs.
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups apricot jam, pureed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces fine quality semisweet chocolate or 16 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- Make the torte: In a saucepan combine the butter, the oil, and 1 cup water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together the sugar, the flour, and the cocoa powder for 30 seconds, or until the mixture is combined well, add the butter mixture in a stream, beating, and beat in the eggs, the buttermilk, the vanilla and the baking soda.
- Beat the batter until it is just combined well, pour it into a buttered and floured 9 inch cake pan, 2 inches deep, and bake the torte in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Let the torte cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, turn it out onto the rack, and let it cool completely.
- With a long serrated knife carefully cut the torte horizontally into 3 even layers, invert the top layer onto a small rack and spread it with about 2/3 cup of the jam.
- Top the first layer with the middle layer, spread it with about 1/2 cup of the jam, and invert the third layer onto the middle layer.
- Spread the top and sides of the torte with the remaining jam and chill the torte for at least 2 hours, or until it is very cold.
- Make the glaze: In a saucepan bring the cream to a boil, put the chocolate in a bowl, and pour the hot cream over it.
- Stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and it forms a smooth glaze and let it cool until it is lukewarm and thickened but still pourable.
- Put the torte on the rack over a jelly-roll pan and pour the glaze over it, spreading the glaze to coat the top and sides evenly.
- Chill the torte for 1 hour, or until the glaze is set, and serve it with whipped cream.