1/1 Photo of Sachertorte
1 hr 20 mins
** Poppy **'s Note:
An extremely rich Viennese classic made with layers of chocolate cake filled with apricot jam and enrobed in a creamy-rich chocolate glaze. Sachertorte is traditionally served with whipped cream. It was created in 1832 by Franz Sacher, of the famous family of Viennese hoteliers and restaurateurs.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups apricot jam, pureed
- 1Make the torte: In a saucepan combine the butter, the oil, and 1 cup water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- 2In a bowl with an electric mixer beat together the sugar, the flour, and the cocoa powder for 30 seconds, or until the mixture is combined well, add the butter mixture in a stream, beating, and beat in the eggs, the buttermilk, the vanilla and the baking soda.
- 3Beat the batter until it is just combined well, pour it into a buttered and floured 9 inch cake pan, 2 inches deep, and bake the torte in the middle of a preheated 350F oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- 4Let the torte cool in the pan on a rack for 5 minutes, turn it out onto the rack, and let it cool completely.
- 5With a long serrated knife carefully cut the torte horizontally into 3 even layers, invert the top layer onto a small rack and spread it with about 2/3 cup of the jam.
- 6Top the first layer with the middle layer, spread it with about 1/2 cup of the jam, and invert the third layer onto the middle layer.
- 7Spread the top and sides of the torte with the remaining jam and chill the torte for at least 2 hours, or until it is very cold.
- 8Make the glaze: In a saucepan bring the cream to a boil, put the chocolate in a bowl, and pour the hot cream over it.
- 9Stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted and it forms a smooth glaze and let it cool until it is lukewarm and thickened but still pourable.
- 10Put the torte on the rack over a jelly-roll pan and pour the glaze over it, spreading the glaze to coat the top and sides evenly.
- 11Chill the torte for 1 hour, or until the glaze is set, and serve it with whipped cream.
Nutritional Facts for Sachertorte
Serving Size: 1 (2491 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 9184.3
- Calories from Fat 4923
- Total Fat 547.0 g
- Saturated Fat 281.6 g
- Cholesterol 997.9 mg
- Sodium 2638.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1175.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 98.2 g
- Sugars 648.1 g
- Protein 119.7 g