Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
Adding for ZWT6. I hear this is delicious and well worth the effort! Most of the cooking time is inactive.
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum, divided
- 1 (12 ounce) jar apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 9 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 ounces heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Lightly butter a 9" springform pan, line with parchment paper, and lightly butter the parchment paper as well.
- Melt 4 oz chocolate in a double boiler, stirring frequently to prevent the chocolate from seizing. Once melted and smooth, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Beat the butter together with the confectioner's sugar until creamy. Add the melted chocolate, mix well, then beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with the sugar until you have stiff peaks and the mixture is glossy.
- Fold into the chocolate mixture, then fold into the flour, until just combined.
- Pour into the springform pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges pull away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then use a knife to loosen the cake from the edges, and remove the cake (still on the bottom of the pan) and allow to cool completely on the wire rack.
- When cool, cut the cake in half horizontally to make two layers, then start the filling.
- Bring the sugar and the 1/4 cup water to a boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan. When the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear, remove from heat and stir in 2 tbsp rum.
- Brush 1/3 of the syrup onto the cut side of the bottom cake layer.
- Puree the apricot preserves with the 1 tbsp water until smooth. Bring to a boil in a small sauce pan and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the remaining rum and then spread 1/3 onto the cut side of the cake bottom.
- Place the top layer of cake onto the bottom layer. Brush the remaining syrup all over the top and sides of the cake. Then spread the remaining apricot preserves all over the top and sides of the cake. Refrigerate until the icing is finished.
- Melt 9 ounces of chocolate in a double boiler until smooth.
- In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer and then stir into the melted chocolate.
- Cool slightly, stirring often, until the chocolate is spreadable.
- Set the cake on a wire rack over a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Pour the icing over the top and spread evenly so the icing pours down the sides. Allow the icing to drip through the wire rack. Cool cake to room temperature, then carefully use a spatula to transfer the cake from the wire rack to a serving plate. Store in the refrigerator and bring to room temperature before serving.