Recipe by mollypaul
A delicious confection from the Wisconsin Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Institute of Chicago, 1947
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 4 ounces sweet chocolate
- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 1⁄8 cups toasted breadcrumbs, very fine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup apricot jam
- chocolate frosting
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325F and butter/line with waxed paper two 8" cake pans.
- Beat egg whites to stiff peaks; add salt.
- In another bowl, cream butter and sugar together; add confectioners sugar and beat thoroughly.
- Melt chocolate and add to creamed mixture.
- Add 1 egg yolk at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix lemon rind, cinnamon, cloves and bread crumbs; stir into batter.
- Fold egg whites gently into batter.
- Divid batter between the two prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn out onto cooling rack and gently remove waxed paper.
- When cool, spread jam on one layer.
- Stack second layer on the first one.
- Frost with chocolate frosting.