Recipe by jasna.markovic
Traditional Austrian Sacher Torte with few modifications in order to make it healthier.
- 100 g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 5 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 150 g light plain yogurt
- 160 g brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g whole wheat flour
- 125 g apricot jam
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 7 tablespoons water
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the chocolate and set it aside to cool to room temperature. Preheat the oven to 325ºF / 165ºC. Prepare a 10 inch / 26 cm cake pan - grease its bottom and sides and dust it lightly with flour, or use parchment paper.
- Whip the egg whites.
- Mix together the rest of the ingredients (melted chocolate, egg yolks, yogurt, sugar, vanilla extract, flour).
- Carefully add whipped egg whites, taking care to leave it fluffy.
- Spread evenly in the pan. Bake for 50 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove the sides of the pan, and invert the cake to remove the paper. Cool completely.
- Cut the cake in half horizontally. Spread half of the jam on the bottom layer and cover it with the top layer. Use the other half of jam to coat the cake. Set it aside and prepare the chocolate frosting from chocolate and water. Apply the chocolate frosting to the top and sides of the cake as smoothly as possible.
- Chill for at least 2 hours.