1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Member #610488's Note:
Azerbaijian tradition states that this dish be served as an accompaniment to Plov (or Pilaf). I recommend serving with Arminyan Plov (Armenian Pilaf) Arminyan Plov (Armenian Pilaf), Azerbaijani Plov (Azerbaijanian Pilaf) Azerbaijani Plov (Azerbaijanian Pilaf), or Kazaki Oreshki Plov (Kazaki Nut Pilaf) Kazaki Oreshki Plov (Kazaki Nut Pilaf). If you were offering this to guests you would have several accompaniments along with the main dish of plov. Plov is what we call pilaf, a dish associated with the Middle East, put popular in Russia and former Soviet Central Asia as well. It originates with the Mongols and the Chinese and spread along the Silk Road to the West. One western version is paella from Spain.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 ounce saffron (5 strands)
- 2 1/4 lbs lamb
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup clarified butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 5 ounces fresh spinach, finely chopped
- 5 ounces fresh dill, finely chopped
- 5 ounces fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 5 ounces scallions, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1Mix yogurt and garlic. Allow to chill.
- 2Soak the saffron in 7 tbsp lukewarm water for 3 hours.
- 3Roughly dice the meat, season with salt and pepper, and fry in 3 1/2 tbsp clarified butter. Sauté the onions in 1 tsp clarified butter and add to the meat along with the saffron water and lemon juice. Add 3/4 cup regular water and simmer over medium heat.
- 4After cooking for 30 minutes, add the vegetables and herbs, cover well and continue cooking over medium heat. for a further 20 minutes until the meat is tender, stirring occasionally.
- 5Add the rest of the clarified butter, stir well and pull off of heat and allow to sit covered for 10-15 minutes.
- 6Serve with garlic yogurt.
Browse Our Top Lamb/Sheep Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lamb/Sheep Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sabsa Govurma Plovu (Pilaf With Lamb and Herbs)
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 380.7
- Calories from Fat 263
- Total Fat 29.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.1 mg
- Sodium 103.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 21.2 g