1/12 Photos of Sabrina's Sandwich Bread
24 hrs 35 mins
Now that I have conquered a easy delicious whole wheat bread, I decided to find a good white bread recipe to make from scratch. So far this one is the winner. This recipe comes from Martha Stewart's July 2004 magazine. Easy and it just tastes great!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sprinkle yeast over warm water in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- 2Add honey, butter and salt; whisk until yeast is dissolved.
- 3Let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes.
- 4Add 3 cups flour; mix on low speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- 5Add 3 more cups of flour; mix until incorporated.
- 6On a lightly floured surface, knead dough, adding up to 1 cup more flour as needed; knead until smooth, elastic, and slightly sticky, about 5 minutes (I do this with my dough hook in the mixer).
- 7Let rise in a large buttered bowl, covered with plastic wrap in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in bulk, about 45 minutes.
- 8Preheat oven to 400.
- 9Butter two 4 ½ by 8 ½ inch loaf pans.
- 10Punch down the dough; transfer to a lightly floured surface.
- 11Divide dough in half.
- 12Gently knead each piece until smooth.
- 13Shape each piece into a loaf, tucking sides underneath to form a seam down the middle.
- 14Place loaves, seam side down, in buttered pans.
- 15Let rise until dough reaches top of pans, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 16Brush top of loaves with butter.
- 17Bake until golden brown and hollow-sounding when tapped on bottom (briefly turn out loaf to test), 35 to 45 minutes.
- 18Let cool slightly in pans on wire racks; unmold.
- 19Let cool until just warm before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Sabrina's Sandwich Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1407 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1686.9
- Calories from Fat 210
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 6999.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 324.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.1 g
- Sugars 35.8 g
- Protein 41.9 g