Cook1 hr 30 mins
From Top Secret Recipes www.topsecretrecipes.com. Posted in response to a request, this recipe is supposed to be a copycat for the sauce served on Sabrett hog dogs, one of the more popular street hot dogs in New York.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion in the oil for 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft, but not brown.
- Add the water, tomato paste, corn syrup, cornstarch, salt, and red pepper flakes, and stir together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and continue simmering for an additiona1 30-45 minutes, or until most of the liquid is reduced and the sauce is thickened.
- Makes about 1 cup.