Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spiced dhall with spinach, full of flavour and goodness and colour. For ease of cooking use canned cooked lentils and frozen spinach. Serve with chicken curry dishes.
- 8 ounces canned lentils or 8 ounces split peas
- 3 ounces ghee
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 fresh green chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 pieces cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces frozen spinach
- Melt the ghee in a large pan and fry the onions,green chilli and cinnamon till the onions are lightly browned.
- Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir and add the lentils, chilli powder and salt.
- Add the cumin and tomato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add just enough water to prevent the lentils sticking to the pan. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small pan heat the oil and fry the mustard seeds and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add the spinach and dried red chillies cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes
- Mix the spinach with the dhall and serve.
- This dish freezes well in you have any left over.
Yum, yum and yum! We loved this dish, served with Recipe #25587. I cut back on the fat, using half the amount of ghee and oil called for, and that worked fine. I wasn't paying attention and added a full teaspoon of turmeric, but that didn't matter either. Step 6 mentions dried red chillies. These aren't noted in the ingredients, so I guessed and added two. So easy to make and so delicious. I always enjoy your recipes Brian. Thanks for posting.
Delish! Very tasty eats. I did have to make a couple changes due to what I had--did not have ghee so I used butter. I also didn't have green chilies, and I added red curry paste. I will definitely be making this again. Using canned lentils was super quick. Thanks for the recipe!