Recipe by Brian Holley
This recipe is unusual as it calls for the use of Moong dhal(mung beans), it is full of nutrients, so healthy. Serve with rice, a meat dish and Mrs MMs.pota to and bean bhaji for a substantial meal.
- 170.09 g mung beans
- 29.58 ml butter
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 fresh green chili, sliced lengthwise
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken into pieces
- 2.46 ml ground turmeric
- 2.46 ml garam masala
- 1.23 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 2 ripe tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 20 fluid ounce warm water
- 29.58 ml cooking oil
- 2.46 ml black mustard seeds
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 dried red chilies, chopped
- 113.39 g frozen spinach, defrosted
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash and soak the moong dhal in plenty of water and leave to stand for 11/2 hours. Drain well.
- Melt the butter over medium heat and fry the onions, green chilli, and cinnamon, till the onions are light brown.
- Add the turmeric and garam masala, stir well.
- Add the dhal, chilli powder and salt. stir and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the water and tomatoes, bring to the boil and cook covered for 30 minutes.
- Defrost the spinach.
- Heat the oil over medium heat and fry the mustard seeds till they start to pop.
- Add the garlic and allow to just brown, add the dried chillies and spinach, stir well, cover the pot and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach to the dhal cover and cook over pow heat for 10 minutes Stirring from time to time.