Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderfully easy recipe. With the yogurt and garam masala, the dish has a nice spice, but is not spicy-hot. I used 1 cup of fat-free plain yogurt. I highly recommend it for an easy weeknight meal. Serve it with rice.
- 1 lb firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 teaspoons garam masala
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 medium garlic cloves, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 lb spinach
- 1⁄2-1 cup plain yogurt
- Mix tofu with 1 T of the vegetable oil, 2 teaspoons of the garam masala, and 2 teaspoons of the kosher salt (or about 1 tspn of table salt). Mix carefully.
- Put tofu in a single layer of a 12-inch skillet and cook until it is browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Put garlic and onion in pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and ginger and cook about 2 minutes.
- Add spinach in several bunches and stir frequently. Cook until spinach is very wilted and liquid is cooked off, about 7 minutes. Stir in reserved tofu and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir together remaining garam masala, remaining salt, and yogurt and add to spinach mixture. Stir until well mixed.
Please don't make the same mistake I did and substitute frozen spinach for fresh! It was horrible. I'll need to get ahold of some fresh spinach and try again.
This dish is quick and easy and probably really healthy. However, I found it somewhat lacking in flavour - not enough richness in the spices (I guess this is not surprising looking at the ingredient list). Not a bad recipe - but not something I'd cook often.
We thought this was quite tasty and it was a snap to cook. I used soy yogurt which was a tad bit sweet (no credit taken away for my sub!) We like a little stronger flavor and would add more spices next time. I was super happy to find this recipe. Thanks for posting!