anne #2's Note:
Classic Indian, pretty easy, limited exotic spices needed. Paneer is very easy to make if you can't find it at a store. Can substitute tofu. Apparently a Punjabi dish...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 3/4 lbs fresh spinach (1-2 bunches of fresh, or frozen can work)
- 2 tablespoons fenugreek leaves, dried of fresh (optional)
- 1 hot green chili pepper (jalapeno)
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground roasted cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 -6 ounces panir, cubes
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1Bring 1 cup water to boil in a pot big enough to hold the spinach. Add the spinach, chopped pepper, and fenugreek. Cover the pan and cook gently for 25 minutes.
- 2In a separate pan, heat the oil, add the onions, and fry until they start to brown. Add the ginger and tomatoes, and cook at low heat for 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens a bit. Remove from heat or time this to be done once the spinach is pureed (below).
- 3When the spinach is done, make it into a coarse puree (people disagree on how pureed it should be, use your own taste). I recommend a stick blender right in the pot you cook it in, or a masher can work as well. The amount of liquid present determines the consistency of your saag. Add the cornmeal, and cook the spinach gently for another 5 minutes.
- 4Add the tomato mixture to he spinach. Then add the salt, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, and cook gently for another 3-5 minutes. Add the paneer, and cook for another 5 minutes, covered.
- 5Serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saag Paneer
Serving Size: 1 (222 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.0
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 887.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 6.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
ground roasted cumin seeds