Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from the Shiva Indian Restaurant in Houston, Texas. Taken from Mastercook.
- 1 large onion
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 ounce fresh ginger
- 1 lb frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 4 ounces buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 6 ounces paneer cheese
- salt (to taste)
- Grind the onion, garlic, and ginger into a fine paste.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the paste, spinach, yogurt, buttermilk, chili powder, and garam masala.
- Simmer at medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Mash the ingredients with a potato masher.
- Add the half and half. Simmer until the mixture has a creamy consistency, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cheese, simmer 5 minutes. Season with salt.
this recipe is awesome, straight forward, and delicious! i've made it a few times and love it more each time.
This is one of my favorite Indian recipes to make. I usually don't include the paneer cheese, but rather just treat it as a spinach curry. Additionally, I simplify the cooking process by putting all the ingredients, except for the half-n-half, in the food processor ahead of time. Then I stew the spinach mixture awhile, and add the half-n-half during the last ten minutes or so.
I don't know. I followed the directions exactly and this just didn't turn out at all.