Recipe by Sue Lau
Top Review by UmmBinat
This was yummy. I used organic spinach, organic brown mushrooms, organic ginger root, organic local garlic, a little cayenne pepper powder instead of the full amount and Serrano chilli, fine grey sea salt, no garam marsala since I didn't have any and it tasted delicious already, no heavy cream (avoid dairy), and organic ghee.
- 10 ounces frozen spinach, thawed, drained, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 inch piece gingerroot, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 serrano chili, stemmed, seeded, chopped
- salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 -2 tablespoon ghee or 1 -2 tablespoon clarified butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Place ginger, garlic and chile into food processor or blender with 1/4 cup water and puree.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons ghee in a large skillet over medium heat; add mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add puree and saute, stirring for 30 seconds-1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add spinach to pan and season to taste with salt, cooking for an additional minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until spinach is soft (10-15 minutes).
- Stir in garam masala, cayenne, cream, and a small amount of water if needed (to adjust consistency).
- Cover and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped cilantro (coriander), if desired, along with freshly steamed rice.