1/1 Photo of Saag Chicken
1 hr 5 mins
I searched high and low for this recipe before coming across it on askpalakkad.com. It was so good I must share it with you to save the hassle of trying to find it yourself! This truly is delicious!! Add a few cardamom seeds to the rice for a truly authentic Indian taste! Note: This is quite spicy. If you do not like spicy food, adjust the amount of cayenne pepper (e.g. 1/4 tsp cayenne).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs skinless chicken pieces, cubed
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 48 ounces spinach, washed & chopped
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch gingerroot, minced
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large onions (minced or extremely finely chopped)
- 1 (400 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 whole cloves
- 2 big cardamom pods
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1Fry the chicken in 4 tbs oil for around 3-4 minutes until lightly browned and set aside.
- 2Put the spinach in a pot, add 1/4C water.
- 3Bring to the boil and remove from heat.
- 4When cool, grind very well (almost to a paste) in blender and set aside.
- 5Heat the remaining 3 tbs oil in a pan and add ginger, garlic and onions.
- 6Fry until lightly brown.
- 7Add tomatoes, salt, cayenne pepper, ground coriander, turmeric, cloves and cardamom.
- 8Sprinkle with 1 tbs water.
- 9Cook for 10 minutes on a low heat.
- 10Add chicken and milk to the pan.
- 11Simmer until the chicken is tender (about 10 minutes).
- 12Add spinach and garam masala to the pan.
- 13Cook until spinach starts sticking to the pan (about 15 minutes).
- 14Remove from heat, add butter and cover until ready to serve with rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Saag Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (492 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.2
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 8.6 g
- Cholesterol 120.8 mg
- Sodium 870.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.4 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 44.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: