Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Sa Cha is also known as the Chinese BBQ sauce. It is sold in Asian groceries with the condiments packaged in jars or cans. The tofu takes on an Asian complexity of flavors with the addition of this sauce. It'll make a tofu-lover out of you yet! Note: Sa Cha or Shacha sauce is made with fish and shrimp: not suitable for vegetarians or those with shell-fish allergies
- 1 tablespoon barbecue sauce (sa cha)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon chinese rice wine or 1 teaspoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup broccoli floret
- 1 cup cauliflower floret
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) package firm tofu or 1 (14 ounce) packageregular tofu, drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- In a bowl, combine the sa cha sauce with soy sauce, rice wine, sugar, and salt. Stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a wok over high heat until hot. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, and water. Cover the wok and steam until vegetables are tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tofu and sauce. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the tofu is heated through.
- Serve with jasmine or plain white rice.
I'm so sorry! We really did not like this. Just not that much flavor. I don't know if it was my BBQ sauce, or what!
What can I say? My son who hates vegetables actually said that this dish was fantastic. I cooked mine with Gai Lan , and used hoisin sauce instead of barbecue sauce because that was all we had, and chinese rice wine. This dish was so well received that I will be making it again tonight. Thank you so much for posting.
Wow, that was delicious!