Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
Cook Lynn Akers, Virginia. Source Chicken Cookery - 1994 Delmarva Chicken Cooking Contest, Delmarva Poultry Industries, Inc.,Georgetown, Delaware, 19947-9622
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (broiler/fryer)
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned,broiler/fryer type
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 5 teaspoons curry powder, divided
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges, canned and drained
- 1⁄2 cup cashews, halved,unsalted
- 1⁄2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons red peppers, diced
- 1 cup mandarin orange yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup coconut, flaked
- 1⁄4 cup chutney, finely chopped
- curly lettuce cup
- flaked coconut
- cashews, chopped
- Put the chicken in a deep saucepan.
- Add broth and 4 teaspoons of the curry powder.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes or until the chicken is fork tender.
- Remove from the heat and allow the chicken to cool in the broth.
- When cool, separate the meat from the bones.
- Discard the bones and broth.
- Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and put it into a large bowl with the oranges, cashew halves, dates, and red pepper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by mixing together the yogurt, mayonnaise, coconut, chutney, and the remaining teaspoon of curry powder; blend well.
- Fold the yogurt dressing into the chicken-orange mixture.
- Arrange lettuce cups on a large platter.
- Fill with salad, garnish with coconut and cashews.
- *Plain orange or lemon yogurt may be substituted.