Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Based on the AJC online edition's What's For Dinner featured on 08-05-09 -- 5 ingredients / 30 Minute Challenge! recipe submitted by Matt Doroff, Norcross, Georgia, with some OPTIONAL ingredients. A great one-pot, family friendly meal with an even better kid-approved acronym, SCRAM :) (Salsa, Cheese, Rice and Meat). This is convenience cooking at its best, a ground meat skillet dinner using salsa and taco seasoning for flavor and cooked rice (and optional black beans) to add heft... If you don't have cooked rice on hand, one (8.8-ounce) package brown or white cooked Ready Rice (90 second microwaveable) can be used. To keep this more kid-friendly, leave out the chopped jalapenos! Leftovers can be rolled up in a tortilla for a burrito filling - or plan on using tortillas as part of your SCRAM meal!
Top Review by Lori Mama
This was delicious and oh so easy to assemble. I had everything on hand, except the black beans. which I would have omitted anyway. Instead i added a can of corn. For some added crunch, I served crushed Nacho Doritos on the side. :)
- 453.59 g extra lean ground beef (or ground turkey breast, or ground pork)
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped (Optional, if desired)
- 28.34 g package taco seasoning
- 473.18 ml cooked rice (or one 8.8-ounce package 90 second microwaveable rice)
- 354.88 ml sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or pepper jack cheese)
- 354.88-473.18 ml salsa
- 439.41 g can black beans (rinsed and drained, if desired) (optional)
- 14.79 ml pickled jalapeno chili, chopped (Optional, if desired)
- avocado, sliced (Optional, for garnish)
- cilantro (Optional, for garnish)
- sour cream (Optional, for garnish)
- 4-8 tortillas (Optional, for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, saute chopped onion (optional) until translucent ~.
- Add ground meat and brown with taco seasoning, draining excess fat if necessary.
- Add cooked rice, cheese, salsa, (and optional black beans and jalapenos) to taste. NOTE: Use the full 2 cups salsa if you are adding the black beans!
- Stir until combined and heated through.
- Serves 6-8 ~ Garnish with cilantro, sour cream., and sliced avocados.
- Any leftovers can be used as a filling for tortillas.
- NOTE: Allow twenty (20) extra minutes if you need to precook plain old fashioned raw rice for this meal!