Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great, healthy idea for a quick breakfast!
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice milk (Ryza is a great option)
- 1 cup water (250 mL)
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, rinsed (175 mL)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds (25 mL)
- 1 tablespoon hemp seeds (or hemp hearts)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- fresh fruit, for topping
- Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh strainer. Bring water, rice milk and salt to a boil.
- Stir in drained quinoa, bring to a boil, then turn the heat to low and let simmer in a covered pot for 12–14 minutes, or until quinoa is cooked with some firmness still remaining.
- Turn heat off. Add ground flax seeds, cinnamon and maple syrup, and let stand covered for another 5 minutes – the porridge should be moist but not too wet, add more rice milk if it is too dry.
- Serve warm topped with hemp hearts and fresh fruit.