Prep 2 hrs 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
Best mixed in the ABM on the dough cycle only, and baked in your oven. Dried cranberries and toasted pecans in rye bread -- lightly flavored with ground cinnamon and orange oil, or leave them out if you prefer! -- The bread smelled heavenly while baking in my oven! Delicious toasted with cream cheese -- makes great french toast, or equally good for turkey sandwiches! ---- Note: My bread machine does not have an "add beep" so I rough grind the pecans and cranberries in a mini-chopper, so all ingredients can be added to the bread machine all at once!
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange oil (optional ~ or substitute 1 tablespoon orange zest)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup rye flour
- 3 tablespoons powdered milk
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup pecan pieces (TOASTED in a hot dry iron skillet, then chopped very fine)
- 1 cup dried cranberries (chopped very fine)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons melted butter (brush on baked bread crust while hot)
- Put the first five (5) ingredients into bread machine pan.
- Mix the next nine (9) ingredients together in a large bowl. NOTE: I rough grind the pecans and cranberries in a mini-chopper because my bread machine does not have an "add beep" ~.
- Spoon combined dry ingredients, onto top of water, into bread machine pan.
- Place bread machine yeast on top of dry ingredients, in one corner of bread machine .
- Place salt in opposite corner of bread machine, on top of dry ingredients.
- Select DOUGH CYCLE if baking in your oven ~ or select whole wheat cycle and light crust, if baking in the machine. NOTE: THIS IS A MADE-UP RECIPE, AND I HAVE NOT BAKED THIS RECIPE IN THE MACHINE! For best results, bake in your oven!
- Check dough after machine has mixed for about 8-10 minutes to see if the dough looks too wet or too dry ~ add water or flour by teaspoons until the dough is the right consistency. NOTE: rye dough needs to be wetter than other doughs!
- For baking in the oven: Dump out dough onto a mat/surface sprayed with cooking spray. Flatten the dough into about a 16" x 12" rectangle ~ fold dough to fit pan length, pinching seams together, and roll tightly into loaf shape ~ spray Pyrex with cooking spray ~ fit dough into pan and slash dough 3-4 times. Cover dough with plastic wrap and let shaped dough rise again till about 1 1/2" above top of pan ~ May take an hour or more to rise ~ PLEASE ALLOW ADEQUATE TIME TO RISE PROPERLY OR YOUR BREAD WILL BE DENSE!
- Preheat oven to 350F for Pyrex ~ 375F for metal.
- Bake for 20 minutes ~ tent loaf with foil and bake an additional 20-25 minutes. For a soft crust, brush hot loaf surface all over with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
10 STARS! This is really good. I don't like raisin bread but I love this. Looking forward to trying it as French toast. I cut the recipe to make a small 1-lb loaf. The rye is really a nice flavor with the cinnamon and cranberries. I ate it with just some butter, but would be good with some marmalade also. Made for Spring 2011 PAC game.
Not sure what I did wrong but it did not rise well and was a dark brown color.Though everyone liked it.Husband said it tasted like a cross between gingerbread and fruit cake.