I got curious about the rye flour I'd bought on a whim, so I made this!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5 (180C).
- 2Now, mix the first three ingredients, the dry stuff.
- 3Then, mix the next two ingredients into the flour mix, and stir quickly with a wooden spoon. Try not to over work the mixture - just combine it. Add more milk if it's not working.
- 4Pop this into a lined 2lb loaf tin. Then, just before putting into the oven, throw some ice-cubes onto the bottom shelf of the oven to create a little steam. This helps make the loaf rise before the crust sets.
- 5Bake in the centre of the oven for around 45 - 50 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow when it's tapped underneath. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then finish cooling on a rack.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rye Soda Bread
Serving Size: 1 (78 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 149.9
- Calories from Fat 18
- Total Fat 2.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 501.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 5.0 g