Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
I got curious about the rye flour I'd bought on a whim, so I made this!
- 4 cups rye flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups milk
- First, pre-heat the oven to gas mark 5 (180C).
- Now, mix the first three ingredients, the dry stuff.
- Then, mix the next two ingredients into the flour mix, and stir quickly with a wooden spoon. Try not to over work the mixture - just combine it. Add more milk if it's not working.
- Pop this into a lined 2lb loaf tin. Then, just before putting into the oven, throw some ice-cubes onto the bottom shelf of the oven to create a little steam. This helps make the loaf rise before the crust sets.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for around 45 - 50 minutes. The loaf should sound hollow when it's tapped underneath. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then finish cooling on a rack.