Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Enjoy with butter and maple syrup. The rye flour gives these pancakes a great unique flavor.
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon shortening, melted
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- In a large mixing bowl, sift together the two flours with the baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk, egg and shortening until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Heat a skillet or large frying pan to medium-high heat. Spray with a generous coating of cooking spray.
- Dollop batter in 1/3 cup portions to make pancakes. Cook until bubbles appear on uncooked side and edges start to look dry. Flip and cook other side until golden brown.
These were great! The batter is very thick, but the pancakes turned out nice and fluffy. The rye flour gave them a great flavor. My kids liked them too.
I just made these this morning and they turned out delicious! Very hearty and more substantial than most pancakes because of the rye flour, I loved them.