Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Love the smell of bread baking on a cold winters day! Crisp bean sprouts enhance the texture of this wheat-free (but not gluten-free) yeast-free bread- a tasty option for those on special diets!
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup fresh bean sprout, chopped
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Generously grease 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-inch loaf pan.
- Separate eggs, placing whites in small bowl and yolks in large bowl.
- With electric mixer on high speed, beat whites until soft peaks form; add sugar and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Set aside.
- With same beaters on low speed, gradually beat milk and oil into yolks.
- Add rye flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; beat just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in sprouts and beaten egg whites.
- Spoon batter into greased pan.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until well browned and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on top.
- Remove bread from pan; cool on wire rack at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Store in refrigerator.
Good wholesome bread but I think next time I will add more sugar (maybe another tablespoon) for a slightly sweeter loaf. Thanks for sharing!