Recipe by Oolala
Rye Bread that is! I like brisket and I like weird recipes that intrigue me. This is one of those! It's from Bubba's Kitchen With Love, Orange County, CA. This was submitted by Feryne Margolin. Not appropriate for Passover since it has bread it the sauce! I haven't tried this yet but here it is for the future.
- 4 lbs beef brisket
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 loaf rye bread, corn style, with seeds, sliced, crusts removed
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) dry onion soup mix
- 1⁄2 cup water (or more)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a roasting pan, layer onions, rye bread and place meat on top.
- Bake in a 400 degree F. oven and brown meat there for 20 minutes, uncovered. Flip meat over and brown another 20 minutes, uncovered. Make sure meat doesn't brown too much.
- Add water and onion soup mix and bake, at 350 degrees, until meat is tender, about 3 hours, covered. Check during cooking to see if more liquid is needed.
- When meat is tender, remove and set aside on a cutting board for slicing.
- Meanwhile, place the onions, gravy, and bread in a blender and blend well. This will be a gravy for the meat.
- Slice the brisket against the grain and serve with the blender gravy.