1/1 Photo of Rye Bread Stuffing
1 hr 40 mins
1 hr 10 mins
The original version of this recipe comes from the Dec/Jan 1997 issue of Taste Of Home magazine. I have since added the sage flavored sausage, and will either skip the mixed nuts or add only pecans. I get wonderful compliments on this stuffing every time i serve it, and the best compliments are when i'm asked to share the recipe or bring the stuffing to the next holiday. Be sure to use 3/4 light rye to 1/4 dark rye, or substitute all light rye, so the rye doesn't overpower. In this combination the flavor is not too strong, just enough that friends and family recognize it as something extra special you've done with your dressing. We've also been successful making this recipe gluten free by using gluten free white bread, broth and the regular flavor of Jimmy Dean Sausage.
My Private Note
cups of ...
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g day-old light rye bread, cubed
- 226.79 g day-old dark rye bread, cubed
- 453.59 g sage flavored sausage, Jimmy Dean brand recommended
- 354.88 ml onions, chopped
- 2 large cooking apples, peeled and chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml salted mixed nuts, chopped (optional)
- 29.58 ml dried parsley flakes
- 9.85 ml salt
- 9.85 ml dried thyme
- 7.39 ml rubbed sage
- 3.69 ml dried rosemary, crushed
- 2.46 ml pepper
- 1.23 ml ground nutmeg
- 709.77-828.06 ml chicken broth
- 1Toss bread cubes in a large bowl.
- 2In a skillet, cook and crumble sausage just until cooked thru.
- 3Remove to paper towels to drain.
- 4To same skillet, add onion, apples, celery, garlic and butter.
- 5Saute until apples and vegetables are tender.
- 6Add both the onion mixture and sausage to bread.
- 7Add nuts (if desired), seasonings and enough broth to moisten.
- 8Cover and refrigerate til ready to bake.
- 9Stuff turkey just before baking.
- 10Bake any additional stuffing separately in a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- 11Or bake all stuffing separately in a greased 13x9x2 baking dish.
- 12To bake stuffing separately, place in greased dish, cover and bake at 325 degrees for one hour; uncover and bake for 10 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rye Bread Stuffing
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.0
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 50.7 mg
- Sodium 1632.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 8.5 g
- Protein 13.3 g