Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These are great for get togethers and make great appetizers!
- 1 lb sausage, fried and drained
- 1 lb hamburger, fried and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 20 -30 slices rye cocktail bread, snack size
- Mix and melt all ingredients together.
- Top Rye Bread with mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.
My girlfriend makes a similar snack that I was trying to duplicate. I searched and found these--after making them I realized this isn't the same recipe but it is just as good. I didn't change anything. I mix the hamburger and sausage raw and then fry and drain with hot water. I used reduced fat cheese and don't think there was any noticeable difference. Also, I made them a day ahead and have some left over that I am going to freeze for another day. Thank you for sharing.
These little gems are addictive. Many years ago an old boyfriends mom used to make these. She used to make a big batch and freeze them before baking, so she could have them ready anytime. She used to throw them in the oven frozen, they obviously baked a little longer than if they weren't frozen but still very tasty. Thanks for posting!