Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
A tasty tuna sandwich which is low in fat.
- 1 (425 g) can tuna in water
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 finely chopped pickles
- 1⁄4 cup spreadable reduced-fat cream cheese
- 8 slices rye bread
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- lettuce leaf, of your choice
- Drain the tuna and mix with the grated lemon rind, lemon juice, pickles and cheese; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread mixture over 4 slices of rye bread and top with sliced onion and lettuce leaves and top with remaining slices of rye bread.
- Cut in half to serve.
When my DH works late & has a snack at work, he is usually after something light & tasty vs a meal that evening. I try to give him healthy fare at these times & this is good for that goal. Using rye bread made from Sour Cream Rye Bread (ABM) by Marie & pickle relish as I had no gherkins, I chose to serve this sandwich open-face w/o lettuce. The lemon & cream cheese vs mayo cut the salty taste & make it more adult-fare vs kid-friendly, but that is just what makes it a *keeper* for me. :-)
Really liked this sandwich. A nice change from mayo. Great flavor!!
I basically stuck to the recipe, but used white bread and toasted the sandwich in butter. I used 1/4 of a red onion, mustard pickle spread, lightly coated the inside of the sandwich with low fat mayo and added extra tasty cheese, sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper. I left out the lettuce leaves. Very tasty, and I liked the hint of lemon.