Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Yummy, New York Rye, Great for sandwiches and toast!
- 1 cup cold water, plus
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 cup rye flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup white wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons wheat gluten
- 3 tablespoons dry milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- Add ingredients to your bread machine according to manufacturer's directions.
- Use whole wheat cycle for baking. OR use the dough cycle, and bake it in the oven. If doing this let bread rise again in greased bread pan in a warm place and cover with a damp cotten towel till the dough almost doubles.
- Bake for 35 minutes at 350 till golden. I usually remove it from the pan after 25 minutes and continue baking it on a baking stone for a crusty crust!
- Rub cold butter on the warm loaf to make it extra yummy.
Great bread! I also baked this in the oven, formed loosely into a loaf. The first 25 minutes were on a sheet pan, the final 10 directly on the oven rack, which gave me a beautiful golden crust. Instead of caraway seeds (didn't have any) I used 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds. I used 1/34 cups AP flour instead of the bread flour and white wheat flour, but I still got an outstanding texture. I'll definitely make this again!
I used the bake in the oven option. I made a round instead of in a pan. This has a really nice crust and soft texture inside. Very flavorful. Great with soup. Made for Spring 2009 PAC.
Oh I couldn`t wait to slice this! I cut it right out of the machine. Makes a crispy crust and tender center. Thanks