Recipe by Sharon123
A mild flavored, hearty and sturdy loaf with rye flour and ground raw almonds. Allow about 1 3/4 hours for rising time. 8 1/2" by 4 1/2" medium loaf, 6-8 medium sized burger buns. Easily doubled. Enjoy!
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon raw sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1⁄4 cups rye flour
- 1 cup bread flour (plus more)
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour (overflowing-I used homemade ground raw almond)
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten (optional)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup (or maple syrup or 2 teaspoons raw sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (or virgin coconut oil-optional)
- 1 -2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, add 1/2 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon raw sugar and yeast. Mix and let sit until frothy(10 minutes).
- In a bowl, mix the flours(rye, almond, bread, gluten) and salt.
- Add the flours to the yeast mixture.
- Add agave, oil, cocoa powder, rest of the water and knead 6-8 minutes in stand mixer or 8-10 minutes by hand.
- I used 1 Tablespoon cocoa. Use 1 more for a darker bread.
- If the dough is sticky, then add a little bread flour until the the dough is soft and almost not sticky.
- Place dough in well greased container. Cover with towel and let sit for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled.
- Punch dough down, use a tablespoon or so bread flour to help handle the dough and knead for a few seconds.
- Pull a bit on all sides and tuck under to get a taut top. Place the tucked side down on parchment lined or well greased bread pan.
- Or flatten the dough and roll like a jelly roll. Place with seam side down in the bread pan.
- Spray water liberally on top, then sprinkle some flour or oats on top. Or spray oil.
- Cover with towel and let rise for 40 minutes or until doubled.
- Bake at 365 degrees F for 35-40 minutes, or until a tap on the top sounds hollow.
- Cool completely before slicing.
- To make buns, divide dough into 6 or so equal size pieces.
- Roll into balls or shape by pulling on all sides and place on parchment lined sheet.
- Spray liberally with water. Sprinkle liberally with sesame seeds or other seeds of choice.
- Cover with a towel and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Bake in preheated 365 degrees F for 25-30 minutes until the tops are golden brown and sound hollow on a tap.
- Note: To get nice slices, cool the bread in the refrigerator for at least an hour before slicing. Also if possible use an electric knife.
- Add a teaspoon of caraway seeds.
- Add 1-2 Tablespoons non dairy yogurt.
- Replace 1/2 cup water with 1/2 cup almond milk(half the amount of liquid).