Recipe by mollypaul
Carp is the traditional Christmas dish and it comes in different varieties: in aspic, fried, or served in Polish sauce. Serve this traditional Polish holiday dish on chilled platter of shredded lettuce. Chilling time not included in preparation time. Courtesy of Polish Pottery Online.
- 2 lbs fish fillets (your choice, carp, sole, pike or other white fish)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 parsley root, chopped (sub minced parsley if you cannot find parsley root)
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups water
For Horseradish Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup horseradish, prepared (cream-style)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, hard-cooked and peeled
- shredded lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vegetables, dry seasonings and water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, simmer 20 minutes, then strain.
- Cook fish in the strained vegetable stock 6 to 10 minutes, or until fish flakes easily.
- Remove fish from stock.
- Arrange on serving platter and cover with plastic wrap.
- Strain fish stock and reserve 3/4 cup for horseradish sauce; cool.
- For horseradish sauce; make a roux by melting the butter in a saucepan, then blend in flour until smooth.
- Add the cooked fish stock gradually, stirring constantly.
- Cook and stir until the sauce boils and becomes thick and smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in horseradish, sugar, salt, sour cream and eggs.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Pour the horseradish sauce over the chilled fish and garnish with shredded lettuce.