Recipe by BakerNurse
I'm not sure where this recipe came from, I think one of the muscle magazines, but my health conscious son found it and asked me to try it. It has become one of his favorites.
- 1 (8 ounce) package manicotti
- 1⁄2 lb spicy turkey sausage
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat milk
- 2 white bread, slices cubed
- 2 cups shredded low fat mozzarella
- 1 (16 ounce) carton non fat small curd cottage cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (16 ounce) jarshealthy choice pasta sauce with mushrooms, divided
- 1⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions, rinse with cold water, drain well, set aside.
- Remove casings from sausage and cook it with ground turkey in a large skillet,stirring until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain (I sometimes add red pepper flakes to this to kick it up).
- Stir together egg substitute and milk in a large bowl and add bread cubes.
- Stir in sausage mixture, mozarella and next 5 ingredients.
- Gently spoon mixture into manicotti shells and place in a lightly greased 13x9 inch pan.
- Pour 1 12/2 jars of spaghetti sauce over shells. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and pour remaining sauce over shells; sprinkle with parmesean cheese.
- Bake uncovered 10 more minutes.
- Casserole may be assembled and frozen up to 1 month. Thawed in refrigerator overnight; baked covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until heated.