Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
According to the site I got this from, this rice mostly accompanies duck and is reserved for holidays because of the expensive nuts.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon peanuts
- 1 tablespoon almonds, blanched
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- Finely chop onion.
- In the pot where you are going to boil the rice, melt 1 tablespoon butter and fry onions until light brown.
- Add rice, fry, stirring, until slightly glassy.
- Add stock, salt to taste (if necessary).
- Bring to a boil, cover pot and let simmer at low temperature for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let the rice stand for 10 more minutes, still covered.
- Meanwhile melt the other tablespoon butter in a skillet, add raisins and fry, stirring, until soft (about 2 minutes).
- Add nuts and sugar to the raisins, mix well and pour into a bowl that is big enough for the rice.
- Fill cooked rice on top of nut-raisin mix, press down and then turn over onto plate.
Thank you for sharing this terrific recipe Mia. I enjoyed it so much. I agree with Karen, I would make this anytime, not just for special occasions. It is so pretty. It was so quick and easy to make with excellent results. The rice was perfectly cooked, with a lovely candy crust over the raisins and nuts. Loved the textures and the sweet, salty nutty flavor. I can't wait till dinner tonight, I'm having the rest of this lovely rice with my pork roast tonight. Made FYC Tag Game 2015.
Mia, this is not only simple and delicious, but such a fab presentation, I showed the photo to my friend who was, like, WOW ( and its a very ordinary photo ;) ) I would do this for guests on any occasion, makes rice something really special. I made this just for us and we so enjoyed it, and of course, I had lots, the extra is in the fridge and I could of course freeze it , or, I'll use it, maybe for fried rice -- I dont generally like raisins but I did really enjoy this whole concept. Thank you Mia, a very WOW recipe!!! :) Made for Consideration tag game.