Recipe by HokiesMom
My mom gave me this recipe that she "adopted" and then adjusted. I've named it after her since she did all the taste testing until it was just right.
Top Review by teresas
This is so yummy and it's good for you too! I cut the recipe in half cuz there is only 2 of us and it worked great. I used a rotisserie chicken. This made it nice and easy. We loved the flavor, the only thing besides a bit of salt that was missing was some heat. Next time I think I would replace the can green chilies with some fresh chopped jalapeno's. We like things HOT! Please tell your Mom that she has developed an excellent recipe. Thanks for posting it. :)
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (or you can soak 1 pound of dried beans)
- 6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked & shredded or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (or 2/3 tsp ground white pepper)
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt butter and saute the garlic, onion and chilies for 5 minutes.
- Place beans in a large stockpot and add chicken stock then bring to a boil.
- Add the sauteed onion mixture to the beans.
- Add the chicken and spices to the beans and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.