Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My mom gave me this recipe that she "adopted" and then adjusted. I've named it after her since she did all the taste testing until it was just right.
- 4 (15 ounce) cans great northern beans (or you can soak 1 pound of dried beans)
- 6 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 (6 ounce) can green chilies, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked & shredded or finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons black pepper (or 2/3 tsp ground white pepper)
- 1⁄2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- In a saucepan, melt butter and saute the garlic, onion and chilies for 5 minutes.
- Place beans in a large stockpot and add chicken stock then bring to a boil.
- Add the sauteed onion mixture to the beans.
- Add the chicken and spices to the beans and cook for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
This is so yummy and it's good for you too! I cut the recipe in half cuz there is only 2 of us and it worked great. I used a rotisserie chicken. This made it nice and easy. We loved the flavor, the only thing besides a bit of salt that was missing was some heat. Next time I think I would replace the can green chilies with some fresh chopped jalapeno's. We like things HOT! Please tell your Mom that she has developed an excellent recipe. Thanks for posting it. :)
This is a great chili - perfect for a group of people with various heat tolerances since it is easy to put hot sauce on the table for those who want to kick it up a bit. I used soaked beans and shredded chicken, and simmered covered for the 1 1/2 hours, during which it thickened up nicely. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
This has lovely flavor but if your a fan of heat you'll need to add some *wink*. I'm rating it with 3 stars because it has a thin, broth soup like, consistency and I prefer chili to be thicker. I would just add in some cornstarch slurry next time. This is a lovely change from the usual beef chili when you want a little swap-up. It's certainly simple to make and is very good.