Recipe by HokiesMom
This is my mom's recipe that she has been using since she was first married 60 years ago. I have searched thru all of the popular recipes here and this one is just a bit different.....most use only brown sugar or have both sugars but then don't use both baking powder and baking soda. I've never had these cookies turn out wrong and they freeze so well. Whether they get reviewed or not, I know I'll be making them for years to come and now I know they are safe here.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 3⁄4 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Cream together the peanut butter and shortening.
- Add both sugars and cream together until smooth.
- Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt together and then add to the creamed mixgture.
- Drop by walnut sized balls unto ungreased baking sheets.
- Press with a fork in a criss-cross pattern.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to a rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. These also freeze very well.